Monday, July 30, 2007

I DID IT!! - WE DID IT!!!!

This weekend was the Weekend to End Breast Cancer here in Calgary. Way back in February I decided that I would participate and see if I could raise the $2000 necessary to walk in the July 2-day, 60K (35 miles) walking event. And, with the help of so many of you - friends and family alike - I did it. I raised $2300!!!! How great is that! THANK YOU ALL FOR HELPING ME REACH MY GOAL!

Saturday morning I got up at 4:45AM (so did Ian) so that I could head off to the Stampede grounds to start my adventure. When I got there, I was a little scared, not knowing what to expect and if I was going to be able to do this - especially on my own. But then the music started and we started to stretch and get ready for the day. It was fun. The CEO of the Alberta Cancer Foundation talked and told us there was 2036 of us participating and together we raised $5.6 million for Breast Cancer Research in Alberta. AMAZING!!! Several participants walked through the crowd carrying a flag with all our names on it. And then the announcer said..."The Weekend to end Breast Cancer has officially begun!!!" and we were off!

The emotions I felt walking through those doors was overwhelming. I thought of the people in my life who have been effected by breast cancer, family and friends. The group of volunteers that would be our "crew" for the weekend stood there and cheered as we walked by into the morning sun. Telling us we were superheros! And as the tears welled up in my eyes, I thought I don't think I can do this! This is tough. And then I met Candi. Thanks to her, the day was a lot easier to get through. We visited as we walked, ate our snacks together and encouraged each other to keep going. Even when my feet were killing me and her hips were sore we kept moving.

(I didn't opt for the tent spend the night part, we all know, I am not good at that. And a good thing too because Ian rubbed that icy hot stuff on me and slept like a baby).

Day 2 was a lot easier, Candi and I had Ian drop us off and because we knew we were more that half way finished. We picked up another friend, Stephanie, and she was a great addition - cheerful and supportive! It was amazing the encouragement that we got from the community of Calgary. The people in the neighborhoods we walked through were out cheering us on, even at 8:00 in the morning. And some people had their sprinklers on to cool us off, or kids were out handing us freezey pops! The support was unbelievable.

We got to the end and there was a huge welcoming from our families and all the walkers that reached the end sooner. It was an emotional ending knowing that we had walked and raised money for such an important cause. And to know that so many will benefit from our weekend.

At the end we all walked into the Corral Arena to cheers. And as we all waited on bended knee, the women who walked as survivors came in. These women were the true superheros of the day. The ones who have fought breast cancer and won!

I think I will do this again next year. It was a great experience. Thank you again for your support, I couldn't have done it without out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ohmigod, that is Awesome!!! Good for you! And congratulations on accomplishing a pretty tough hike!