Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What I've learned about Calgrary winter...

I don't usually have much to say unless its about Olivia. But for all of you who don't live here in Calgary, I thought I would share some of the things that I have learned about winter. What brings this on you ask? Well, it has been snowing now for about a week now.

So here we go. What I have learned about winter...
  • The phrase "its too cold to snow" is not true.
  • Celsius finally makes sense to me in -20 because I have never known it to be this cold in Ferienheit.
  • There is no such thing as a "snow day."
  • Curlers (the sport enthusiasts, not the hair ones) are die hards still coming to the rink at 7:30 in the morning.
  • Windshield wipers don't work with ice on them.
  • The more wiper fluid you squirt doesn't help.
  • Salt does not melt ice on the roads at -20 C
  • Yes, you can feel the ice under your tires as you drive.
  • It can be really pretty (see picture above)
  • And well, it does eventually stop, and like this afternoon there is still a blue sky up there and hope for a Chinook!
So thats that. The picture is of Inglewood Golf Course on one of these very snowy days lately. I think there is reprieve this weekend and then everything will just be really messy and dirty, but at least it won't be snowing!!

Keep warm!

No comments: